About the service
You can now sign up or renew your subscription to the garden waste service for April 2017 to March 2018.
The garden waste service costs £50 per year. From the 1 October, the service will cost £25, for collections until the 31 March 2018.
Renew or sign up for the garden waste service
Please click the button below and enter your address details whether you are choosing to renew your garden waste service or sign up for the first time. We will not collect your garden waste unless you have signed up to the service.
Sign up or renew online now
If you are experiencing any difficulty signing up online please call 0208 937 5050.
Once you have renewed or signed up to the service; we will send you confirmation of your first collection date by e-mail.
You can also download a collection calendar for your current garden waste service by using find your collection day. If you are new to the service, your calendar for the 2017/18 service will not be available online until the end of March 2017. You can also request a collection calendar by e-mailing us as firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don’t have a bin
If you are signing up to the service for the first time, we will automatically order and deliver a garden waste bin to your property. You do not need to do anything. If your bin has not arrived before the date of your first collection; please e-mail email@example.com
If you are renewing your garden waste service, you will already have a bin for your garden waste. If you want to pay for an additional collection and container please call 020 8937 5050.
When we collect
Collections are provided every two weeks from March to November and once a month from December to February. After signing up to the service, you can find your collection day to confirm the date of your next garden waste collection.
There is a 20 per cent discount if you get the following benefits:
- Council tax benefit
- Housing benefit
- Income related job seekers allowance
- Pension credit (guaranteed rate)
- Income support
Discounts for council tax benefit and Housing benefit will be provided automatically when you sign up online or by phone. For the discount to be applied for other benefits you may need to contact us by telephone.
If you sign up over the telephone, you may be asked to provide proof of your benefit by e-mail or post. Your service will not start until we confirm that the eligible benefit proof has been accepted.
If you sign up to the garden waste service from October, you will be charged a reduced rate of £25 as the service will be provided until the end of March.
You can also reduce the cost of the service by sharing a garden waste bin with your neighbour. Only one person needs to sign up for the service.
What you can put in your garden waste bin
You can place twigs, branches, grass clippings, hedge trimmings, prunings, leaves, plants and weeds.
What you can't put in your garden waste bin
You can't put food waste in your garden waste bin. You should use the separate food waste container.
We also do not accept soil, rubble, plastic bags, pet bedding, nappies and we cannot take large branches or tree trunks.
If you do not want to sign up to the garden waste service
Home composting is a great alternative to using the garden waste service. You can purchase a compost bin at a reduced price from Even Greener, by calling 0800 361 4454 or by visiting www.getcomposting.com. Prices start at £17.98 plus £5.99 for delivery.
Alternatively you can take your garden waste to the Reuse and Recycling Centre at Abbey Road, Park Royal, NW10 7TJ.
What happens if you move home
If you move within Brent, after you have signed up, just let us know and we will transfer your garden waste service to your new property.
If you move outside of Brent, please let us know so we can cancel the service.
Please note that we cannot provide a refund if you cancel the service part way through the year.
You must not put Japanese knotweed in with your garden waste or general waste. The government has guidance on treating and disposing of invasive plants.
If you have Japanese knotweed or other invasive plants on your land you should contact a specialist contractor to remove and dispose of it properly. Read more
If you have any queries about the garden waste service you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and conditions
This agreement is made between the customer (you) and Brent Council (us) and sets out the terms and conditions of use of the chargeable garden waste service.
1. The Garden Waste Service costs £50 each year for the period 1 April to 31 March.
2. You will need to make pay online and only call Customer Services on 0208 937 5050 if you would like to sign up for a second service or are experiencing difficulty using the online system.
3. Payment taken will show on bank statements as being made to Veolia, who are managing the garden waste service on behalf of Brent Council.
4. You have 14 days after you sign up to cancel the service.
5. After the initial 14 day cancellation period, the council will not refund the cost of a garden waste service, even if you no longer require the service.
6. The service is an annual service; and payment is required every year for the service to remain in place.
7. Where we have a valid email address we will send you reminders to renew your garden waste service by email, from January each year.
8. Automatic renewal is not in place. If you want to sign up to the service next year, you will have to contact us to sign up. We do not store details of your payment method.
9. The annual payment made by you is for the supply of the garden waste service and not for the container or sacks. There is no charge for the provision of containers or sacks.
10. If you are signing up for the Garden Waste Service for the first time, it can take up to 14 working days for your first collection to take place. This is because we need to deliver a bin to you.
11.If you are renewing your service, we presume that you already have a bin to use for the collection of your garden waste.
12. The payment of £50 per year means that we agree to provide you with a container for the exclusive use of the garden waste service. The container will either be one 240L bin or a year’s supply of degradable sacks. We provide one container for each £50 payment and the container remains the property of Brent Council.
13. If you require us to provide you with an additional container, or more degradable sacks, you will be charged for an additional garden waste service of £50.
14. If you have only paid for one garden waste service at a property but there is more than one garden waste bin at that property, we will only empty garden waste from one bin.
15. If you advise us during the year that your garden waste bin has gone missing, or been stolen and requires a replacement, we will provide you with a replacement bin. The bin will not be brand new.
16. Any bin that has been lost or damaged will be replaced free of charge.
17. If you find your missing bin after we have delivered a replacement, please let us know. We will not collect from more than one container unless you have paid for more than one garden waste service.
18. Most properties will be eligible for a 240L garden waste bin for the service. If there is no space for a bin in the front of the property, a request can be made for degradable sacks instead. A visit to assess suitable space for a container may be carried out by a member of staff.
19. You will be able to access and download a collection calendar online from the last week in March, by visiting www.brent.gov.uk/recycling and entering your postcode into the ‘Find Your Collection Day’ search facility.
20. If you move property within the borough of Brent, your garden waste service will be transferred to your new property. You must let us know that you have changed address within 5 working days of moving to your new property.
21. You will be responsible for moving your garden waste bin from your old property to your new address within Brent.
22. If you move to a property outside of Brent, please let us know so that we can cancel the garden waste service. You will not be entitled to a refund.
23. If you wish to share a garden waste bin with a neighbour, only one person needs to sign up to the garden waste service. The garden waste service will be registered at one property only.
24. It will be up to individual neighbours to identify how they split the cost of the garden waste service.
25. If you sign up to the service from the 1 October a discount will apply. You will be charged £25 for the service until the end of March (a 6 month period).
26. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you are entitled to a 20 percent discount on the total cost of the garden waste service.
27. The benefits which entitle you to a discount are: Council tax benefit, Housing benefit, Income related job seekers allowance, Pension credit (guaranteed rate) and Income support.
28. The Council holds data on whether you are in receipt of Council tax benefit or Housing benefit and we can automatically check that your discount applies if you are in receipt of either of these benefits.
29. You may be required to provide us with proof of other benefits. If suitable proof cannot be provided, it remains the discretion of the council as to whether to apply the discount.
30. Generally, proof will be required in the form of a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), confirming that you are in receipt of the eligible benefit/s.
31. You will be able to either scan in a copy of your letter from the Department of Work and Pensions, or send a photocopy to the address we provide you with when the information is required.
32. The service can only start when confirmation of your receipt of benefits has been confirmed by us.
Presentation of containers
33. Garden waste containers must be presented for collection by the resident as near to the pavement as possible by 7am on the day of collection. The containers must still be within your property boundary and not placed on the pavement.
34. If your garden waste bin or sack is not presented as near to the pavement as possible, we reserve the right not to collect your bin.
35. If you share a bin with your neighbour, the bin must be presented for collection at the property of the person who has paid for the service. If it is not, and a missed collection is reported, we reserve the right to not collect the bin until the next collection date.
36. If you report a missed collection, but your container has not been correctly presented, we will not return to empty your container. You will need to wait until your next collection day for your container to be emptied.
Missed collections and non-collection of containers
37. If incorrect materials are placed into your bin, the council reserves the right not to empty your garden waste bin or take your sacks until you have removed the incorrect materials or items.
38. A tag will be left on your container advising you of the materials that can and cannot be placed in your garden waste container. You are required to remove any incorrect materials in the garden waste bin before the next collection.
39. If we do not collect your garden waste bin, you have two working days to report a missed collection to us, either online or by calling 020 8937 5050.
40. We will not return to empty a missed collection if you do not report it to us within two working days of your normal collection day.
41. No refunds will be provided for non collection of your garden waste for any reason.