Garden waste service

The price of the garden waste service is £60 per year and the service is provided from the 1 April to the 31 March.

If you sign up to the garden waste service from October, you will be charged a reduced rate of £30 as the service will be provided until the end of March. You can also reduce the cost of the service by sharing a garden waste bin with your neighbour. Only one person needs to sign up for the service.

Renew or sign up for the garden waste service

Please click the button below and enter your address details whether you are choosing to renew your garden waste service or sign up for the first time. We will not collect your garden waste unless you have signed up to the service.

Sign up or renew online now

If you are experiencing any difficulty signing up online please call 0208 937 5050.

If you cannot access the portal using Internet Explorer, please use alternative browser.

Once you have renewed or signed up to the service; we will send you confirmation of your first collection date by e-mail. 

You can also download a collection calendar for your current garden waste service by using  find your collection day. If you are new to the service, your calendar for the 2021/22 service will be available online from the end of March. 

When we collect

Collections are provided every two weeks from March to November and once a month from December to February. Please be aware that all collection days for the garden waste service have changed this year. This is to ensure that the service is more efficient.  You can find your collection day to confirm the date of your next garden waste collection.


There is a 20 per cent discount if you get the following benefits:

  • Council tax support
  • Housing benefit
  • Income related job seekers allowance
  • Pension credit (guaranteed rate)
  • Income support
  • Universal Credit (the Housing element)

Discounts for council tax support will be provided automatically when you sign up online or by phone. For the discount to be applied for other benefits, please fill in the following form and upload a copy of your benefit entitlement letter. Please note if you are in receipt of Universal Credit, the discount only applies if you are in receipt of one or more of the above benefits. Your service will not start until we confirm that the eligible benefit proof has been accepted. 

Once we have confirmed that you can get the discount, we will contact you within 7 working days to set this up.

Apply for a discount for garden waste


What you can put in your garden waste bin

You can place twigs, branches, grass clippings, hedge trimmings, prunings, leaves, plants and weeds.

What you can't put in your garden waste bin

You can't put food waste in your garden waste bin. You should use the separate food waste container.

We also do not accept soil, rubble, plastic bags, pet bedding, nappies and we cannot take large branches or tree trunks.

If you do not want to sign up to the garden waste service

Home composting is a great alternative to using the garden waste service. You can purchase a compost bin at a reduced price from Even Greener, by calling 0800 361 4454 or by visiting Prices start at £17.98 plus £5.99 for delivery.

Alternatively you can take your garden waste to the Reuse and Recycling Centre at Abbey Road, Park Royal, NW10 7TJ.

What happens if you move home

If you move within Brent, after you have signed up, just let us know and we will transfer your garden waste service to your new property.

If you move outside of Brent, please let us know so we can cancel the service.

Please note that we cannot provide a refund if you cancel the service part way through the year.

Japanese knotweed

You must not put Japanese knotweed in with your garden waste or general waste. If you have Japanese knotweed or other invasive plants on your land you must contact a specialist contractor to remove and dispose of it properly.  The government has guidance on treating and disposing of invasive plants


If you have any queries about the garden waste service you can contact us.