Special collection service
We have made changes to the way that our special collection service is provided. Our service is now chargeable, but we have made it easy for you to make bookings online and select your own collection day.
A charge of £35 applies for a collection of up to 5 items. You can book as many collections as you like in a year and we have increased the range of items that you can ask us to remove.
You can see the full terms and conditions of our new service in the tab at the top of this page. We recommend that you read them before making your booking.
Book a Special Collection
Collections take place Monday to Friday. You can select your own collection day; up to 8 weeks in advance.
If you are a landlord , you can now use our collection service to dispose of items when a tenant is moving out of a property.
If you are in receipt of Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit you will be entitled to one free collection per year (April to March). Any further collections will be chargeable at the full rate of £35. This free collection should be automatically applied when you make your booking. For the discount to be applied for other benefits you may need to contact us by telephone. Eligible benefits include Income related Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit (Guaranteed Rate) and Income Support.
If you experience any problems, please contact our customer service team on 020 8937 5050.
What we can’t collect
We will not collect pianos, soil, rubble, clinical and hazardous waste.
You can dispose of those items using these services.
- Clinical waste collection
- Hazardous waste collection
- Unwanted mobility equipment collection
- Abbey Road - Brent Reuse and Recycling Centre
Alternative collection methods
If you don’t want to use our new bulky waste service; you can use one of the many free alternatives for giving your item another home.
Most charity shops love to take things off you that you no longer need. If you have trouble finding a shop willing to take a large item, try the British Heart Foundation's free furniture and electrical collection service.
Online sites and web communities
- Freecycle – the original platform for helping match up those in need of certain items, with those who want rid.
- Freegle – Around 17,000 people in Brent are using Freegle to give away and make use of items that are no longer needed by some people.
- Gumtree – Online classified adverts to pass on your no longer needed items.
- Facebook – Now featuring local buy and sell groups to sell or giveaway items with no fees.
- eBay – Buy and sell items on the well-known online auctioning site.
- Nextdoor - A free and private social network for your local neighbourhood with a ‘free items’ section
- Preloved - The popular classified site features a Freeloved section, letting you pick up things for free. While it's free to advertise your wares, users pay £5/year to get first dibs on the latest freebies.
- Re-cycle - A charity that isn’t able to collect unwanted bicycles, but can take them off you at several drop off points for them to be reused in developing countries in Africa.
Know of any others? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add them to this web page.