We have made changes to the way that our special collection service is provided. Our service is now chargeable, but we have made it easy for you to make bookings online and select your own collection day.
A charge of £35 applies for a collection of up to 5 items. You can book as many collections as you like in a year and we have increased the range of items that you can ask us to remove.
You can see the full terms and conditions of our new service in the tab at the top of this page. We recommend that you read them before making your booking.
Please note that if you previously booked a collection with our free service; your date of collection still applies and remains unaffected by the new service.
Book a Special Collection
Book a Special Collection for bulky items
Collections take place Monday to Friday. You can select your own collection day; up to 2 weeks in advance.
If you are a landlord , you can now use our collection service to dispose of items when a tenant is moving out of a property.
If you are in receipt of Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit you will be entitled to one free collection per year (April to March). Any further collections will be chargeable at the full rate of £35. This free collection should be automatically applied when you make your booking. For the discount to be applied for other benefits you may need to contact us by telephone. Eligible benefits include Income related Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit (Guaranteed Rate) and Income Support.
If you experience any problems, please contact our customer service team on 020 8937 5050.
Alternative collection methods
If you don’t want to use our new bulky waste service; you can use one of the many free alternatives for giving your item another home.
Most charity shops love to take things off you that you no longer need. If you have trouble finding a shop willing to take a large item, try the British Heart Foundation's free furniture and electrical collection service.
Online sites and web communities
- Freecycle – the original platform for helping match up those in need of certain items, with those who want rid.
- Freegle – Around 17,000 people in Brent are using Freegle to give away and make use of items that are no longer needed by some people.
- Gumtree – Online classified adverts to pass on your no longer needed items.
- Facebook – Now featuring local buy and sell groups to sell or giveaway items with no fees.
- eBay – Buy and sell items on the well-known online auctioning site.
- Nextdoor - A free and private social network for your local neighbourhood with a ‘free items’ section
- Preloved - The popular classified site features a Freeloved section, letting you pick up things for free. While it's free to advertise your wares, users pay £5/year to get first dibs on the latest freebies.
- SnaffleUp - While still relatively small, SnaffleUp's modern design means it's easy to browse for freebies.
- Re-cycle - A charity that isn’t able to collect unwanted bicycles, but can take them off you at several drop off points for them to be reused in developing countries in Africa.
Know of any others? Let us know and we’ll update this web page.
What we can’t collect
We will not collect pianos, soil, rubble, clinical and hazardous waste.
You can dispose of those items using these services.
How to present your items
Where to leave items
Items must be left outside of the property and within the property boundary such as the front garden, but not on the footpath or public highway. We do not collect from back gardens. Items should be visible from the road. Items must be placed outside by 7am on your day of collection.
Any items left on the public highway will be considered fly tipping, which could lead to legal action.
The items must be accessible by our crews. This means the collection vehicle must be able to park on your road and not be blocked by other vehicles.
The entrances to your property must not be blocked. If we cannot gain access to the items that you have presented for collection because of road works or inclement weather conditions, we will make a second attempt to collect your items and you do not need to contact us to arrange this.
If we cannot gain access to the items you have presented for collection because of a vehicle or other obstacle blocking access to those items in your front garden, we will not return again and you will need to make another booking.
How to present your items
We ask that when you present your items for collection you do so neatly so it is easy for our crew to see each item that is on the list and move it easily.
The majority of items presented are done so correctly. However, if items are presented in a manner which does not allow each item to be clearly identified or moved easily, our crew reserve the right to not collect the items and you will be asked to rebook your collection at a further cost. You will not be refunded for the original non-collection of the items if they are not presented correctly.
Incorrect presentation includes not bundling items like a dismantled table or carpet tiles together.
Guidance - flats and North Circular
Collections from flats
If you live in a block of flats, please advise us where you will be leaving your item for collection. We cannot collect the items directly from your flat. Please ensure that your items are placed in an area that can be accessed by our vehicle on the day of your collection. When booking your collection, please let us know if our crew can only access the collection area through a locked gate on the day of your collection. This can be done by giving us details of an entry code which will allow our crew access to the bin area or by advising if we need to press a buzzer for a caretaker for example. Please provide this information in the ‘Additional Information’ box on the second page of the booking form.
Communal bin areas are generally the best place to leave your item, however please ensure that you do not block access to the bins or place your item out for collection too far in advance of your collection day.
Collections from properties on North Circular
The North Circular is a red route, which means that our collection vehicle cannot stop and collect items from your front garden. We ask if you live on the North Circular to place your items for collection on the corner of the nearest side road to you, as close to 7am as possible on the day of collection.
Please provide details of the road where you will be leaving your items in the ‘additional text’ box on page two of the booking form. If you are unsure where to leave your items we ask that you contact us before making your booking.
Terms and conditions
Chargeable Special Collection terms and conditions
This agreement is made between the customer (you) and Brent Council (us) and sets out the terms and conditions of use of the chargeable special collection service for large items of household waste.
Payment and booking
- 1. The Special Collection service costs £35 per collection for up to five items. You can now arrange as many collections as you like in one year (1 April to 31 March).
- 2. You can also make numerous bookings for the same day to allow for collection of more than five items, up to a maximum of 15 items
- 3. To do this you will need to go back to the first screen and enter five separate items. You will need to re-enter your address details for any subsequent bookings.
- 4. You can either pay online, by visiting www.brent.gov.uk/specialcollections or by phoning 020 8937 5050. You will need a valid credit or debit card to make your payment. Once confirmed, you can only make changes to your collection day by calling 020 8937 5050.
- 5. You cannot add any more items once you have made your booking. If you want to add more items you will need to make an additional booking with a further cost of £35.
- 6. Payment taken will show on bank statements as being made to Veolia, who are managing the special collection service on behalf of Brent Council.
- 7. You have 14 days after you sign up to cancel the service. You still need to provide three days’ notice of the need to cancel a collection even if this falls within your 14 days cancellation period.
- 8. After the initial 14 day cancellation period, the council will not refund the cost of a special collection service, even if you no longer require the service.
- 9. Where we have a valid e-mail address we will send you confirmation of the dates that you have selected for your collection.
- 10. You will be asked to accept these terms and conditions prior to payment for your collection. Acceptance means that you agree to the content of these terms and conditions. You are therefore advised to read them prior to making your booking.
Presentation and collection of items
- 11. Items must be presented at the front of your property; as near to the boundary of your property and the public highway as possible by 7am on the day of collection.
- 12. The items must be kept on your property if you live in a house, maisonette or property converted into flats.
- 13. Leaving unwanted items on the public highway is against the law and is classed as fly tipping. Anyone found fly tipping may be liable for a maximum fine of £75,000 or five years in prison.
- 14. If you live in a block of flats, your items must be presented in a communal area, which is accessible to the collection crews. We cannot be held responsible for a non-collection of the items if our crews cannot get access to the area for collection, if they do not access the area on normal bin collection day.
- 15. If our crews need a code to enter the communal area of your block of flats or need to press a particular buzzer to contact a caretaker; please provide this information in the ‘additional comments’ section of Page 2 of the booking form.
- 16. If you live in a property on the North Circular Road, our crews cannot stop to collect your items. We therefore ask that you leave your items on the side road at the nearest junction (rather than in your front garden).
- 17. Please provide details of the road where you will be leaving your items in the ‘additional text’ box on page 2 of the booking form. If you are unsure where to leave your items we ask that you contact us before making your booking.
- 18. All items booked as one collection must be presented together for collection. Our crews will not search a location to find items if they are not all presented together.
- 19. However, if items are presented in a manner which does not allow each item to be clearly identified or moved easily, our crew reserve the right to not collect the items and you will be asked to rebook your collection. You will not be refunded for your collection and will need to make a further payment of £35.
- 20. Incorrect presentation includes not bundling items like a dismantled table, wardrobe or carpet tiles together.
- 21. If you have booked separate collections on the same day for up to 15 items, please group the items together as you listed them in each booking. This will assist our crews to see that they are only collecting the items listed.
- 22. It is your responsibility to ensure that your items are presented correctly.
- 23. We cannot enter your property to collect items. You will need to make your own arrangements to get all items for collection to the front of your property (or other designated collection point depending on your property type).
- 24. Similarly, if you live in a flat above a shop, please leave your items out before 7am on the day of collection, so that our crews can pick them up before they cause a problem for shopkeepers and people using the public highway.
- 25. Our crews will only collect items that have been requested at the point of booking.
- 26. Additional items that are placed next to items that were specifically booked will not be collected and will be left.
- 27. Additional items placed out on collection day cannot be reported as a missed collection.
Missed collections and non-collection of items
- 28. If we do not collect your special collection items, you have five working days to report a missed collection to us, either using an on-line form available at www.brent.gov.uk/recycling or by calling 020 8937 5050.
- 29. We will not return to collect a missed collection if you do not report it to us within five working days of your normal collection day.
- 30. If you have to report a missed collection; we will not provide you with a refund for that collection as long as we collect your items on the following attempt.
- 31. If we can only collect some of the items that you have presented for collection; for a particular reason, a leaflet will be posted through your door advising you of the materials that we could not find or could not collect. Please contact us to discuss what you need to do to dispose of those items.
- 32. We can only collect items which weigh up to 40Kgs and can be safely carried by two crew operatives. We reserve the right to not collect any items which are heavier then this when we arrive at your property. You will not be refunded for the collection if this occurs and you will have to make alternative arrangements for the disposal of the item/s.
- 33. If we cannot collect your items due to adverse weather conditions, no access to your road or property due to roadworks or traffic problems, we will make a further attempt to collect those items from your property within 48 hours. You will be able to check the reason for non-collection of the booking by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 020 8937 5050.
- 34. If there is no access to your property because of an issue caused by yourself, such as a vehicle in your driveway, we will not return to collect the items and you will not be refunded for the missed collection. You will need to book another collection for the items and ensure that our crews can gain access to the location of the items.
- 35. We cannot be held responsible for items which are taken by a third party. You will not be refunded if your items are taken by someone other than then Council.
Cancellation or changing the date of your collection
- 36. The chargeable special collection service will allow you to select your own date for the collection of your items. If you need to change the date of your collection; you will need to contact us at email@example.com or by phone on 020 8937 5050.
- 37. We need at least three working days to make changes to the collection date.
- 38. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you are entitled to one free collection of up to five items per year.
- 39. All further collections in the financial year (1 April to 31 March) will be charged at the standard rate of £35.
- 40. This is based on the property and not the occupants. Allowance is provided for one free collection per property, per year (1 April to 31 March).
- 41. The benefits which entitle you to a discount are: Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit, Income Related Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit (guaranteed rate) and Income Support.
- 42. The Council holds data on whether you are in receipt of Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit and we can automatically check that your discount applies if you are in receipt of either of these benefits.
- 43. You may be required to provide us with proof of other benefits. If suitable proof cannot be provided, it remains the discretion of the Council as to whether to apply the discount.
- 44. Generally, proof will be required in the form of a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), confirming that you are in receipt of the eligible benefit/s.
- 45. You will be able to either scan in a copy of your letter from the Department of Work and Pensions, or send a photocopy to the address we provide you with when the information is required.